the wings of the morning

Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

Sunday, January 21, 2007

nothing of interest, plus chocolate

Hmmm. Some randomness, I guess:

We had my cousin and her husband and three kids (ages 8 - 11) over for Sunday dinner today--very fun. We kept it simple: lasagna (with homemade turkey sausage sauce, and lots of spinach), salad and bread. I also made my famous chocolate torte, which everyone loved as usual. So glad I found that recipe. I'm quite sure that if I was in the market for a mate, this dessert would be my secret weapon. As it is, I'm just drawing all my dear ones even closer in with it, which is also nice. I love feeding special homemade things, particularly chocolate special things, to loved ones. Ahhh.

Come to think of it, it's really only been in the past year, since I stopped working, that I've learned to make anything like a chocolate torte, or been able to whip up a batch of fuss-free homemade sauce. Entertaining so large a cluster of company at all might have been a bit of a stretch in the bad old days, too, so much so that I don't think I'd have attempted it. Or enjoyed it if I had. So yay, yay,YAY, not working! It's really good for me. How cool that my man is okay with our tight budget, that he understands how much happier I am, that he's happier this way, too. Ahh again.

Another rock show is in the process of being booked. It'll be either in late February or early March, and whenever it is, I can't hardly wait. Seriously.

Along those lines, I had occasion to make a mix of songs by the band I'm playing with as a gift for my brother-in-law this weekend. Have I mentioned that I love this friggin' band? OY. Their songs turn up on every other mix I make; they are generally over-represented. But I've never made an unadulterated, you know, fest. Well, now I have, and I can see why I (unconsciously) put it off: It's too good. IT'S TOO GOOD. It hurts a little. I think I'll try this with my other favorite artist, the only other one who consistently kills me like this. iTunes is a beautiful thing!

Also along those lines, I'm pretty sure almost everyone I know will be at the big anniversary show this spring. As in (in addition to all our local friends), both my parents and their spouses, my eighty-four-year-old grandmother, and my brother and his wife, who will have to take an airplane to get there. Whoah. Well, that's how it looks at the moment, anyway. We'll see how much I end up with to do in the acoustic set. I can't see Gram (or Dad or Mom, for that matter) enjoying the rock set very much. These guys are rather fond of feedback, to an extent that can be a bit much even for me. Though I sure do love the double distortion pedals...

Still no pictures or video, but I think I'll have something eventually.

I really need to get back to writing pages, and playing my instruments more. And walking outside. (Sound familiar, AW folk?) My ACIM practice is going great, but it helps so freakin' much that I coast on other helpful practices just to keep things manageable. Or that's what I think I'm doing, anyway. And it's time to see what would happen if I reincorporate more helpful activities. (((biting nails)))

Thanks to the commenters on the last post. Leah, if you're there, I think I'll take you up on your very generous book lending offer. I have a good feeling about it. (Heh.) I'll be in touch.

Because I love you, internet:

Chocolate -Sexual Reference Here- Torte

Ingredients:

12 ounces (1 bag) semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
6 eggs

[If you really want to party, you can make whipped cream topping as well: Use a cup or so of heavy cream (not "whipping cream," as it is full of crap such as artificial thickeners), a little vanilla extract and a spoonful or so of maple syrup. Whip.]

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350. Line the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate very smoothly with aluminum foil. Lower your standards and spray the foil liner with cooking spray.

Melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave, on a reduced power setting, stirring with a whisk until completely melted. (I find I only need to pause once for stirring mid-melt.) Set aside.

[Optional: Take the weird little hard white squiggly things off the egg yolks with your fingers and a teaspoon. They are weird and squiggly, and, though edible, they will remain unattractively unincorporated into the chocolatey goodness if left in the eggs.] Beat the eggs and stir them into the melted chocolate mixture. Use the whisk for maximum smoothness, but don't whip the mixture--just stir thoroughly. Pour the chocolate mixture into the foil-lined, chemical-lubed pan, cover with foil, and set it in a heavy roasting pan. Pour hot tap water into the roasting pan halfway up the sides of the pie pan (to create a bain-marie--now you're cooking in French!) and place it in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, being careful not to scald yourself but drenching your potholders regardless, and uncover the torte.

The torte will be a soft batter that will solidify when cold. Let it cool to room temperature on a wire rack, then cover it right on its surface with plastic wrap. Put it in the freezer for at least 2 hours. Take it out, turn it upside down on a plate and peel off the foil while it's still frozen, then let it thaw for a bit--around forty-five minutes, but maybe not even that long if it was only in the freezer for the minimum two hours. (Apparently you can freeze the well-wrapped torte for up to 3 months before thawing and enjoying, but I sure don't know anyone with that kind of restraint.)

When ready to serve, put on some lipstick and your hottest boots, then cut the still cold or even frozen torte with a hot, wet non-serrated knife. (Clean the knife in hot water after each cut.) In case of hardcore partying, slather on whipped cream topping. (On the slices of torte.) (Ahem.)

You can also make this for a potluck--it travels great in the thawing stage. And you will make new friends and admirers. (Best to skip the lipstick and boots if you're not, you know, available...)

4 Comments:

Blogger Jana B said...

CHOCOLATE!!!!!!

Hopefully I'll eventually be able to work from home and then maybe have time to make a torte or other yummy chocolate things.

I'm giggling about the comments about the boots BTW lol

1/22/2007 8:56 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

Those white squiggley things are the reason I swear off eggs every other time I make them...::willies!!::

1/23/2007 8:03 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

Lower your standards and spray the foil liner with cooking spray.

Cracking my shit up.

1/25/2007 8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someday, when I don't 'have' to work...maybe I'll take up baking. Can't stand cooking, but sort of like to bake. It's just that working full-time, it sounds like too much WORK when I get home. :) But your torte sounds yummy!

1/27/2007 4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home