the wings of the morning

Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

Friday, October 13, 2006

i heart ac/dc

G accused me recently of being a poseur. We were discussing the rock n' roll onesies we will (sometimes) dress our infant in when s/he arrives: G found a good one on the Cheap Trick website which will be a must, as he is a huge fan, of their bass player Tom Robinson especially. And I've had my eye on a teeny plain black AC/DC number hanging in a wicked cool shop downtown. Picture Beavis at 3 months. Anyway, I don't remember how he led into it... I think he made a funny reference to a song that I was unfamiliar with, of which there are many, and I had to ask him to explain it. "You're a big AC/DC pretender," he said.

He's right. I say I love them because I love one album of theirs, plus two songs - one a hit and one an obscure album cut that is so beautiful to me I think it'd have to be desert island material. But even though we have the album that song is from, I haven't even really checked out the rest of it. Poseur! Moi! Mon Dieu. I took it to heart.

So this morning when browsing in G's itunes library for some listening material to deepen and justify my daily time-drain on the computer, I chose 1979's "Highway to Hell." And guess what. I really do love AC/DC.

It's interesting to me that music like this is supposed to be so heavy and subversive. To me, it sounds exultant. Distorted power chords through Marshall stacks is, in my opinion, is one of the most beautiful sounds there is. And there's just something about these riffs and this rhythm that just makes me feel so joyful. I used to get irritated by the ceaseless puerile sexual innuendo, but now I accept that it's just part of the fun--it's a big part. So to speak. I used to get distracted by some of the fire and brimstone stuff in SH singing, too, but now I see that it's intrinsic to the style. And when I learned to just go with it, singing those stompy doom and gloom tunes became way more fun.

So, gotta just go with it. Check. And I bet I could find other ways to apply this morning's lessons in art appreciation. Like for instance, listen to more music, for heaven's sake. Explore! Start with the stuff you already own. This reminds me of going shopping in my own closet, something I need to do more often: Really get in there! Try to see things with a fresh eye. Mix it up. Revisit stuff you say you love but leave hanging, and really climb in. Open to new perspectives, even if they're perspectives you've been saying you have already. Open more deeply. Life could be so much richer, without having to add anything new.

1 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

hm! i too have been getting the bug to listen to more music lately, stuff i already have...just loaded up my iTunes with an armload of choral music and beloved soprano arias, as well as Townes Van Zant and Old Crow Medicine Show.

10/16/2006 7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home