the wings of the morning

Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

Thursday, September 14, 2006

i am back. (i think.)

Huh! Guess I'm writing a post. The Bravo site seems overwhelmed at the moment with addicts like me trying to read "Tim's Take" - his blog entry about last night's episode (of Project Runway, of course). I can't seem to get to his comments about Angela and Michael's work, so I opened up my bookmarks out of sheer boredom, and ended up here.

Well, I have been pondering coming back. I'm still not sure I will; I think I'm just sort of feeling it out. I miss the outlet of writing little pieces to share. I still write pages a la the AW, but daily brain dumps, while helpful, do not particularly address the need to create.

Ah, yes. That's the thing, isn't it - the need to create.

I was pregnant when I stopped blogging last May. That pregnancy ended in July. I had been very very sleepy throughout most of my ten-week experience, and the miscarriage was three weeks long and bloody, so I spent most of the rest of the summer getting my strength back. (It's back.)

I found the emotional aspects of losing the pregnancy not unbearable. It was sad and frustrating and terribly disappointing, but my husband and I did not have a particularly hard time letting go once the shock had passed. We moved on, remaining optimistic. We trust that when it's meant to happen it will happen. Being pregnant had been a wonderful time for both of us - peaceful and joyful and absolutely filled with light - and it had been great for our relationship. We both felt the overall experience was net-positive. I think of it as a practice pregnancy. It only deepened our conviction that this is what we really want, plus we both had the chance to witness its obviously positive effects on us and on each other. Gotta count all that in the blessings column, really.

I started menstruating again right away, so we're back on the horse what threw us. And the past month or so has been filled with hopeful signs. Actually, okay - truth? I think we might have hit it again. No, TRUTH: I think we have hit it. I've thought that before and been wrong (ever the optimist), so i'm trying to stay somewhat cool. But what else can I write about? It's pervading my thought, from pretty deep down. I find I can only be cool by not allowing myself to obsess, to neurotically check for symptoms, to keep asking my inner Voice if I am. I have asked already. The answer was Yes.

So staying cool does not seem to extend to avoiding plain-old thinking about being pregnant now, or to not thinking that I am. I do! I just do. I calmly and matter-of-factly just happen to think that I am pregnant. I understand myself well enough to know that if it turns out I'm not (or, more likely and specifically if that's the case, that implantation has not occurred), I'll be fine. I'm good at letting go, when it matters.

So am I really putting all of this out there? Yeah, I think so.

I did decide to not spread the word far and wide last time. It was part of why I stopped blogging. I didn't want to talk about my pregnancy beyond a specific circle of friends. Truth be told, that was largely because I had intuitive misgivings about viability, though I claimed outwardly I was just being practical. I am glad that I didn't have to bring sad news back to my parents and grandmother, who would all have certainly been devastated. I made the right call not putting them on that roller coaster to begin with. But they don't read my blog.

Besides, I ended up telling the rest of my world about the miscarriage as it was happening. It's a different thing at that point--no roller coaster. And I needed the support. So why not write about all this here? I guess I'm back.

In other news, I stayed with my core spiritual practice through it all this summer, even while I had dropped all my other practices. I continue to feel I'm turning a real corner in my life. And as I've considered returning to my blog, I've thought about finding a way to incorporate here more of the things I actually think about most. I'll just leave that dangling for now. Let me just say I want to find a way to be more fully honest about who I am.

One last thing. We have a new kitten! Check out THIS massive sweet-itude:

matilda

My husband woke up one day with the overpowering urge to check out a local shelter's website. Turns out they were somewhat overrun with kittens. Huh. Naturally, the next step was to drive over there, just to... take a look. I regained my senses as we sat in the driveway on the very verge of a shelter visit, which at that point was virtually identical, statistically speaking, to adopting a third furry behbeh. "Why are we doing this?" I demanded. "We've been saying since we went from three to two last summer that it doesn't make any sense to adopt another one while we're hoping to bring a human baby home. It's hard enough to keep up with the demands for love those other two snuggle-monkeys make on us all day. Is it really fair to them in the long term?" G was quiet. "What do you have to counter all these arguments we've been making for over a year now to keep us from doing this?"

"Oh, not much," he replied. "I just think it will bring more light to our lives."

Sometimes there is just NO ARGUING with that guy. But do I need to even say it? He could not have been more right. He named her Matilda. She is perfect. She brings so much light it strains my heart a little to let it all in. I will never understand how people can not have kitties.

I don't know how often I'll be posting now, so I may just keep this on the D.L. for now and let whoever finds it read it or not. I have many ambivalent and conflicting feelings about the community aspect of this blogging thing, anyway. Maybe in the spirit of being More Fully Honest, I will write about that sometime. For now I'll just say that I do very sincerely wish everyone who has read and commented here all the best.

6 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

it's so good to get a concentrated dose of you!

my prayers are with you and your child, in whatever stage of incarnation she may be at this very moment.

of course you're a project runway fan! have you ever considered designing clothes as a career?

it's amazing how you and G have gotten through the summer with such grace. amazing.

well, you continue to be my radical, truth-telling hero.

9/14/2006 11:11 AM  
Blogger Jana B said...

ELIZA!!!!!!!!!!!! *shrieking* I've missed you!! Glad you updated us!!

9/14/2006 12:52 PM  
Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

Those are some BIG kitty ears! :o) Or maybe it's just the camera angle, but it sure adds to the cute factor.

Andrew
To Love, Honor and Dismay

9/14/2006 3:36 PM  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

I am so sorry for your loss, and wish you only every good thing hereafter. It's good to see you back.

9/15/2006 9:53 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

Eliza it's great to see you back and I was surpised by your visit. Love the kitty - CUUUUUTE! I turned into a recent fan of project runway.

I am very sorry to hear about your loss - but you also give me such hope because you sound so optimistic. More relaxed in yourself is how you sound.

Take care.

9/15/2006 4:18 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Hi there! Wow to all the happenings in your life! The kitty is just precious, and kitties sort themselves out with human babies in the house - trust me - I have two cats and a toddler!

I know I haven't been too blog active over the summer with all of my transformations big and small, but perhaps we will both find our way back to the (Internet) page.

Thanks for reading, thanks for writing.

9/16/2006 6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home