the wings of the morning

Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

underpants inventory plus update

Well. I learned today that because I was stupid enough to include the name of the type of social singing I do in a couple of posts (and my profile) and ignorant enough with regard to both the basics of blog searching and the level of personal ethics generally regarded as acceptable online (hint: it's not very high), several people I know and that I have considered among my friends have been to this blog. And not let me know that they found it despite its obviously personal nature and its lack of relation to anything that could be construed as their business. And shared the link with each other.

I'm not one to keep secrets. I'm a lay-it-all-out-on-the-line kind of a girl. Just about anybody could and would get just about anything out of me in a conversation if they asked or if the talk just went that way. I share. But if I was in, say, an Al Anon meeting, which is of course public and technically open to anyone including observers, nonparticipants and supportive others, I'd probably want to know if a friend of mine who was not even in the group was lurking in the back as I shared personal and sensitive information. I definitely would not expect that friend to tell another person to come and check it out the following week and not even let ME know that they had been there as I spilled my guts.

I have been disabused of my illusions of relative privacy and safety here on my inconspicuous little artist's way blog. I don't know how this will change my blogging habits. I suppose it will change some things about what I choose to share and how I write about it. I don't know. In any case, of course it's good to be aware - duh, I know - that people search for things and that the expectation of privacy is so low here that even though I'm POSITIVE that the people in question would have KNOWN that I would feel uncomfortable if I knew they were reading, they not only didn't feel an ethical pang sufficient to move them to stop reading, let alone let me know they found it, they also spread the word. Next time I notice their skirt tucked into the back of their pantyhose, I'll be sure to tell three friends but not them. And the sad thing is, even though this feels very icky to me, a) I accept responsibility since it's true that I was really ignorant about blogging, and b) to not tell anyone something like that would be IMPOSSIBLE for me. That would be like returning a lost wallet but keeping the cash. I just ain't put together that way.

Anyway, in honor of ALL of my readers and visitors, because I'm such hot shit and I have no secrets, I thought I'd share the following: I have an entire lingerie chest plus two dresser drawers full of underwear. I own something like forty bras. I mostly wear string bikinis and thongs, but I do own a few pairs of granny panties for those times when I need a smoother line and anything else would make me sweaty. I have several contraptions involving garters, but I buy them mostly to wear with tights I've turned into stockings because the proportions of my lusciously curvy, amazonian body do not tend to fall within the shaded areas of the sizing chart. Lycra is a very good friend of mine. I love to wear the stuff that makes me feel like a scuba diver under my form-fitting dresses. What else... oh yeah, 36 or 38A. Which is funny. 'Cause A is small. And I am large. Lucky for me, my voluptuous hips are balanced nicely by my broad strong shoulders. And relatively prominent collar bones. Muy caliente!

As for all the other sensitive material here, well, that's just more indication of my fabulousness. I am real. It's all true. I haven't written a single word of it to impress anybody - until this post, that is. And this post is all you'll ever get from me along those lines.

new-haircut-profile-005

Thursday, April 20th

UPDATE

It turns out that while a couple people were aware that I was unlikely to know my blog was so findable or that it was being read by people I know (and one of them stopped reading, and the other got her courage up about the inevitably uncomfortable exchange and let me know, which is cool), two out of three of the people whom I hadn't spoken to before posting but was so sure were aware I'd feel uncomfortable if I knew they were reading told me that they actually never considered that possibility, since the internet is public and since I am generally so frank and out there anyway. It was hard to see at first, but I have no reason not to believe them.

So. I don't know who else might be out there reading or having read , and I don't know what their thoughts or motivations may be. (And I'm already past caring.) But if this sampling is at all representative, my lessons are as follows: 1) the obvious one about the technically public nature and searchability of blogs, 2) the matter-of-fact lack of any sense of the idea that something might be "personal" or "private" (as in, oops, I wasn't meant to see this) that many blog readers and searchers apparently operate from as part of their understanding of the medium, even with writers they may know personally, and 3) I could be more careful about not making assumptions or jumping to conclusions about others' thoughts or motivations, no matter how things look. (I hate it when people do that to me! I definitely don't want to do that.)

I'm feeling just fine. I made the choice to be somewhat identifiable (first name, photo, name of singing) with you guys, and I'm living with the consequences of that choice, as well as with the consequences of my innocent technological ignorance. I'm grateful for the support and kindness I've received since revealing that I felt betrayed. I feel good about my own behavior and my handling of this unpleasantness. I am certainly not embarrassed about anything contained here in my blog, though it's sad and bothersome to me that some humans may tend to seek out perceived weaknesses in others in order to exploit them or to make themselves feel somehow cooler or better. I don't know how mean or judgemental could ever equal cool or better. But I guess that's how I do judgemental. Anyway, lessons learned. Onward.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jana B said...

*absolutely rolling with laughter as I picture your blogreaders faces*

Well Eliza dear, you'll definately know which of your "friends" are reading your blog after that post!

They'll be the ones who see you and turn 40 colors of red as words like "lingere", "bikini", "thong", "garter", "amazonian", and of course your bra size, all flow through their minds. They'll be the ones who look above you, below you, beside you... absolutely ANYWHERE... Except in your eyes!!!!

And just think... you'll be able to smile innocently at them (or wink if you want to really get them!!!!) and just generally enjoy their discomfort while they squirm!

And to top it all off... you'll be able to see the wheels in their mind turning, as they think to theirselves...

"Is she serious? Does she REALLY have that many undermentionables?"

Hahahahahahaha

On the serious side though... that does seem really low to be sneaking peeks at your blog and not tell you so. Which reminds me of something I need to do... *sigh*

4/19/2006 6:36 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

LOL!!!! 34A here, and with sizeable hips to boot!

4/19/2006 6:49 PM  
Blogger Jana B said...

Well, I did what your post reminded me of... did you read on my blog the day I discovered the blog of a real-life person who goes to my same yarn store? Her son died not long ago, and I felt bad to read about her pain and walk away silently. Your post gave me the push I needed to go to her blog and leave a comment. Thanks. :)

4/20/2006 1:00 PM  
Blogger Jana B said...

Ahhh... just read your update. I'm glad that you're dealing with it so well... I had issues just reading about someone else in my real-life area... and although i'm sure eventually someone from my "real life" will see my blog, I'm not at all sure how well I'll handle that!

4/20/2006 1:03 PM  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

I'm glad it seems to have worked out to your satisfaction - or at least to a point you can be more comfortable with. ,,,, I was going to start philosophising about my attitude to my privacy, etc on my blog, but it doesn't belong here. So, good to know it's not the betrayal it felt like at first.

4/21/2006 9:15 AM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Every blogger either has or will experience a sense of betrayal or misunderstanding at one time or another. It comes as a big old shock, because you somehow feel so safe on your blog, like you can say exactly what you are thinking at that particular time without explanation or excuses to people who are invested in your public persona. Lurking on someone's site when you know them is not safe behavior. It's like they are there to gather ammunition of some kind to use against you. Scary.

Glad you have vented and now you can go on. But unfortunately, you are now more wary - and some of the sweet freedom may be gone.

Thanks for your comments today. Yeah, just come on over for some tea, and we'll talk, talk, talk.

4/21/2006 10:07 AM  
Blogger Marilyn said...

You've handled this better than just about anybody I've ever read about having this experience. It can be a shocker, and sometimes a sickening one. More power to ya, sister! Keep blogging!!!

4/21/2006 9:52 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

Eliza - wow - what an experience you've had. Like you - I'm new to blogging - so I don't really have any advice to give you. I am glad to read that you have more understanding of it all. I hope you will continue to blog and navigate how this changes or doesn't change your blog. I know I am aware of what I put on my blog -I've never felt completely free to tell all- as I continue with my blog I am constantly finding my edge - that place where I am comfortable in myself to have anyone read it.

4/22/2006 9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home