the wings of the morning

Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

real life

It's long past Sunday, but all the Sunday Scriblings posts have inspired me to get on board. So here we go. (Disclaimer: I am not a poet.)

Real Life

Lift me out of this pale routine.
My comfort is slow-acting poison now.
Pull me outside.
Let beauty smack my sleepy face
Like a worried parent.
Wake me up.

Surprise me.
I may think I know you, so
Tell me what you really want now.
And don't make me happy.

Hear the call, the boredom
Seeping in contentment's basement.
The squirm, the snap,
The flash of anger:

This is not enough.

We drape the light with darkness dressed
As form
Familiar.
We pack the open wound, forgetting
It
Bleeds
Life.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kara said...

very nice poem- love the first lines - glad you got inspired! I came to tell you that -yes, you partly inspired my what is a daily lump post. I am glad I could help. and thanks for the inspiration....

4/13/2006 8:00 AM  
Blogger Jana B said...

"We pack the open wound, forgetting
It
Bleeds
Life."

I love that! So much wisdom from only 8 words. :)

4/13/2006 8:49 AM  
Blogger Alex S said...

I just started Sunday Scribblings as well! I enjoyed your writing so very much and couldn't help notice we share 2 favorite shows- Arrested Dev and The Office. But what happened? No Office episodes the last 2 weeks. ) :

4/13/2006 10:53 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

what jana b said. :)

you are a poet!

4/14/2006 1:36 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

i like the imagery in this...

very dark...
and interesting...

i like dark
:)

4/14/2006 1:42 PM  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Hi Eliza! (got your message and added you to the Sunday Scribblings sidebar!) I love the imagery in this poem -- I too go through cycles where I realize I'm sunk too deep in routine and I'm not seeing, not really living, not taking full advantage of the good fortune of BEING ALIVE. I enjoyed your words!

4/15/2006 8:27 AM  
Blogger Cate said...

Your words are forceful and impressive! I'm so glad that you are participating in SS!

4/16/2006 8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home