the wings of the morning

Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

Monday, April 10, 2006

refrigerator poem

Here's a vacuous little ditty using some words left by kat and lynn for the purpose of composing a poem. Lynn did a good job writing something of substance this way. As for me, doing this really reminds me of making a cut and paste poem with the magnetic poetry kit - which can be fun. Well, I need a random and easy creative excercise tonight, so here we go:

Careful! Never Trust a Wooden Cat

Jerk and twist the
Lisp from that cursed pursed lip.
Bland my questioned brow.
Hands that flounce and float
Hold empty treasure.

As near as I can tell, it's about a silly pretty girl and the boy who hates to love and loves to hate her, who wishes he knew how to quit her. (Is it bad when a poet feels compelled to explain?) In any case, I hate it (grin), though putting it together did sound a faint echo of the call to creativity. It's a good excercise.

And it reminds me of my favorite magnetic poetry work ever. One night a bunch of friends and I were hanging out making a party game of magnetic poem composition. We used the lids to two cookie tins and a game timer, and we took turns competing, though our "scores" - the somewhat drunken accolades of the group at large - were not recorded or counted. We had a blast. It took almost no time for the compositions to become consistently laden with the sort of sexual innuendo one can only intimate through the inclusion of the word, "sausage." Hilarious at first, but... we soon agreed that it might be even more fun to mix it up a little. I tried. I wrote, "Dream the delirious winter garden. Blow me."

4 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

I love the poem!

4/11/2006 9:53 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

you've made me laugh today - such fun!

4/11/2006 10:08 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

great poem!

o my, the blow me line cracked me up!

4/17/2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger AscenderRisesAbove said...

too funny;

I found a url with links that might interest you; sort of like doing magnetic poetry on line.

http://www.languageisavirus.com/

4/19/2006 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home