the wings of the morning

Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

my journal

Here it is:
journal

These leather journal covers are fairly ubiquitous in the many funky bookstores and, as a dear friend calls them, crystal-swingin' shops that dot the landscape in the area where I live. It's almost a cliche to have one or to want one. However. I LOVE my journal cover. I am a huge fan of the Art Nouveau style and also of old murder ballads, which this image really conjures up for me. She's mysterious and sad, wandering the dark, stylized forest (or is it a swamp?) in her cloak. Alone with her haunted memories. I guess it's related to my "wings of the morning" theme: I really resonate with the idea of illuminated darkness, of light coming from within seemingly impenetrable murk and deep, dark depths. Plus, can you see the moon and star button that the cord closure wraps around? Yeah. Also, I am amused by the way her hair looks like a giant rat perched on her head.

It's 5 1/2 x 8 1/2, half-size, so I fill six pages every morning. I use pencil because it flows most easily. I buy sketch books to refill it. In the long barren stretches when I have not journaled, I have kept this lovely book out where I can see it anyway, thinking I want to, thinking I should. I'm so happy to have my morning pages ritual now, and to be using this beloved object.

1 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

what a beautiful journal cover!! and how lovely that you get to re-use it even after a journal is filled up. very cool. i'm glad the mp's are doing you so much good. :-)

2/22/2006 12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home