the wings of the morning

Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

Saturday, February 11, 2006

five lists of four, plus one fiver

Greenishlady has "tagged" me, which is nice, but it feels a little more like being pulled up onto a ledge: Blogger Heights. (Eeeee! What the hell is a "meme," anyway?) Here goes!

4 Wishes, dreams, desires:
- To have a baby this year
- To sing and play music in a band or project with people who challenge me deeply musically and personally
- To be a good mother
- To be youthful in spirit for the rest of my life

4 Imaginary lives:
(I did this already in a post, but they came out slightly different this time. I'll go with it...)
- Mystic monk - cloistered, fasting, levitation, the works
- Author of spiritual self-help books; lecturer on same (Alas, helping lots of people sounds great, but handlers and hotel conference rooms do NOT.)
- Poet/visionary hermit, a glimpse of whom might be doubted or assumed to be hallucinated
- Wealthy desert nomad - just to live in one of those giant cozy tents with piles of fur and tapestries and gorgeous rugs, with oil lamps, and with camels and starlight

4 Things I could change (I'm with you, Greenishlady - I avoid "should," and it helps):
- Go outside more
- Find places to walk and hike near where I live
- Make love more with my husband, even on the not-particularly-fertile days
- Play my piano at least a few times a week

4 People I admire:
(Okay, for this I'm just going to quote my previous post...)

Five people I admire:

The owner/operator of the Tire Warehouse franchise in a nearby town. He always has two inspiring messages on the marquis sign out front, one on each side, and never anything about tire specials or the like. His customer service is impeccable. He seems genuinely happy to meet and talk to everyone who goes into his shop.

A former boss of mine, one of the kindest people I've ever met, and one of the best listeners. Always acted with integrity. Always.

A mother I know with three teenagers, one with cerebral palsy, whose kids adore her, mind her, and let her know where they are and when they'll be home. Her patience with and love and gratitude for the disabled child is boundless and inspiring, yet she manages to set limits and look after herself, too.

My late grandfather, who was always patient, kind, enthusiastic, and engaged with his family.

The guy I saw on TV in a courtroom offering forgiveness to a serial murderer during his turn to "say his piece" as a victim's family member. He said he didn't know how the man could do what he did, but since Jesus forgave, so did he. The murderer, who had apparently remained stony-faced throughout hours of others' emotional statements, began to cry only then.

4 Things I like about The Artist's Way:
- The community! The opportunity to read and share and gain inspiration and support. Amazing.
- The way I usually end up dealing with exactly what the author says I'll be dealing with during a week, even if as I'm doing the reading I'm thinking I don't relate to most of it.
- The structure. I'm lifting this directly from either Kara or Greenishlady, but it is true for me, too--I really needed the structure that this program offers. It's flexible, which is also nice, but I find the more I just do what she says, just to see, the more I get out of it and the more supported I feel.
- The morning pages. This tool really works for me. I usually have way too much pointless crap cluttering up and clogging my thoughts, and doing the pages just cleans out the mental pipes every morning and lets things flow better for the rest of the day.

4 Things I still hope to get out of The Artist's Way:
- To embrace Artist Dates more enthusiastically, and put a little more effort and intention into them. I think I could get more out of this tool.
- To start writing songs and poetry regularly
- To make this new practice habitual - to really get over the hurdle of feeling stuck and feeling like feeling stuck is just part of who I am. I see another possibility now. I want to take steps every day, even when the program is over, even when I hit another wall or another plateau. I want to work this fucker.
- To try some visual arts like painting before the program is over and no one is reminding me every other day that deep down I want to try acrylics... and watercolors... and pottery... and...

Thanks, Greenishlady! Nice view from up here. That wasn't so bad. I think I'm supposed to tag someone else? Maybe four someone elses? Sheesh. This past is sort of scary! What if they don't want to? What if they don't even know I exist? Oh, excuse me, I went back to adolescence there for a minute. Okay. I tag Mighty Little Miss Communicator, My Healing Journey, Rebekah's Musings, and of course the luminous Saint Teresa, and I hope they all still want to sit with me at lunch.

5 Comments:

Blogger GreenishLady said...

Thanks for playing. It was lovely to get these glimpses of how it is for you. I just so want those imaginary lives of yours... PEACE. ... and we seem to have a deal in common, as in wanting to try out some more visual arts before the end and stay consistent. 'later!

2/11/2006 12:07 PM  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

Eliza, I am so sorry... I didn't intend to cause any panic. I've only now seen your comment where you ask how to go about this. I don't know how 'meme' is pronounced. I suppose it's Me-Me? I hadn't done any before either, and just followed my nose. You've certainly found your way into new paths here. Well done for jumping in!

2/11/2006 12:27 PM  
Blogger daru said...

hey, i'll still sit with you at lunch. and after this meme, i might even share my tater tots with ya...

2/11/2006 1:06 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

o man, i feel like the bus monitor or something. so uncool!!

as for memes. here's a definition for ya:
http://weblogs.about.com/cs/blogsglossary/g/memes.htm

2/11/2006 6:21 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Banal - no, no (refering to your comment on my blog!). I may be one of a small percentage who actually like these lists, memes, tags - whatever. They do give insight into someone you would not otherwise have. Today I am thinking about my answers and will try to get them posted today. Thanks again for coming to my blog and for your encouragement!!!

2/14/2006 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home