the wings of the morning

Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

Monday, January 02, 2006

Why "the wings of the morning"?

An excerpt:

Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or wither shall I flee from thy presence?
If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall me light about me.
Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

Psalm 139, Book of Psalms, Bible (King James version) (somehow the most over- and under-utilized spiritual textbook around, simultaneously).

I can never quite get used to the deep, deep beauty of this poem. I love the whole thing, though I have had to wrestle a bit with lines 19-22. Ain't that the way, with the bible? Anyway, as someone who has made her bed in hell with a frequency that defies any system of logic or romantic notions of pain in the name of a passionate nature, this poetry goes straight to the inside of my insides, breezing unseeing past all the stories I tell myself and resonating on a level of full, real, undeniable recognition.

I cry and cry. But what a relief! I believe this; Love/Truth/God goes with me wherever I go. This has special relevance as I begin the Artist's Way, or anytime I intend to express myself, because whatever comes up as I work and explore, whatever I find myself wanting to say or do - even if I make dark choices - (behold,) I do not even temporarily leave, and I can never forsake, the Truth of what I am. Even the night shall be light about me.

In the interest of full disclosure, I also happen to believe that there is such a thing as a dark choice. I don't think every impulse is somehow a noble one. Our minds have the power to miscreate in a sense, to think we are separate from G*d and from each other, or to wish to be. It's all a giant misunderstanding in my estimation, but the point at the moment is that we can explore however and wherever we choose to, for as long as we like, and Love abides.

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts...



1 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

Love this. So effing happy you're along for this ride!

1/02/2006 8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home